About Lorenzo Thione
Moving to the United States from Milan in 2001-mere months before September 11-Lorenzo Thione was quickly forced to reckon with life’s lack of guarantees. The only life worth living was an authentic one. Coming out was a must, and he never looked back.
Lorenzo Thione is an entrepreneur, technologist, venture investor, and producer making an impact across several organizations: Gaingels; Sing Out, Louise! Productions; StartOut; and The Social Edge. He is a resolute LGBTQ community advocate and dedicated to amplifying underrepresented voices and stories.
In this episode, Lorenzo discusses co-founding StartOut and managing Gaingels, and their respective commitments to LGBTQ entrepreneurs. He reflects on the significance of receiving funding and value from a diverse source, and the immense impact of representation. In addition, Lorenzo shares insights into selling a company and assembling a diverse board of directors and leadership team.
A true multi-hyphenate, Lorenzo speaks with Eric about his journey developing a Broadway musical alongside George Takei. Weaving his theatrical pursuits alongside his entrepreneurial advice, Lorenzo shares the profound inspiration for Allegiance and an exciting announcement about the future of the musical.
- (0:39) – Entrepreneur at heart
- (5:13) – Computer science
- (7:53) – Feeling different
- (11:27) – The power of representation
- (14:59) – LGBTQ advocacy and StartOut
- (19:18) – Gaingels
- (26:44) – Going beyond VC
- (28:46) – Diversifying a board of directors
- (34:20) – The road to Broadway with Allegiance
- (47:24) – What’s the hardest thing about being an entrepreneur?
- (49:54) – Selling a company